SAPST in collaboration with Parliament of Zimbabwe will hold a workshop for Parliamentary Committee Chairpersons in November to equip them with technical skills on effective ways to conduct committee business.
The two day workshop will be attended by the Speaker of the National Assembly Hon. Adv. Jacob Mudenda, President of the Senate Hon. Mabel Chinomona, Committee chairpersons, Chief whips, Parliament of Zimbabwe and SAPST staff.
Hon. Adv. Mudenda is expected to deliver the key note address while SAPST Executive Director Mr John Makamure will give the opening remarks.
Topics to be covered will include the following:
- The roles and functions of the Liaison and Coordination Committee; and How to conduct Committee Business
- Understanding the mandate of Oversight Committees
- Terms of Reference of Committees;
- Law making process;
- Approval of International Agreements; and
- Contraction of Loans by the State.
- Role of Parliament in the Budget Process:
- Constitutional and other Statutory Provisions;
- Budget Cycle;
- Budget Analysis and Monitoring; and
- Post Audit Role of Parliament;
- How to prepare a viable Committee Work Plan; and Self-evaluation
- Legislative Analysis Techniques (Good Law Checklist)
- The Petition Process and Procedures
- Public Hearings: Process and Procedure: An external perspective
- Gender Mainstreaming in Parliamentary Processes and Procedures
- Understanding Quarterly Financial Reporting Guidelines